My sesitive skin pretty much dictated my life, from what clothes I could wear to what types of lotions or perfumes I could use. My skin made my life miserable, I could not wear anything nylon, polyester, silk, or any type of synthetic material without breaking out into red itchy bumps, it would feel like my skin was on fire. The same went for perfumes and lotions, especially in winter, when the skin on my legs would literally break and bleed. I was miserable. Then I finally went to the dermatologist(s), they all gave me the same routine answer, that my skin was just sensative and there was really nothing to worry about, they prescribed a Acetonide cream, which I would have to use for the rest of my life, wear ultra loose cotton clothing, (there goes my social life), don't eat any spicy or fried foods (I'm South Asian - I'm sure you see where I'm going with this) and stay away from anything with perfumes in it. So I cut back on the spicy and fried foods, stopped using anything with perfumes in it, got the prescribed cream, (Triamcinolone Acetnide Cream), which did work really well but the one thing I would'nt do was wear really loose clothing, I mean Come On! who doesn't want to wear skinny jeans. So I finally got fed up and did a little bit of my own research on how I could get arond my skin issues. So the following is a list of small changes I made to where the prescribed Acetonide cream I had to use every single day, (which started to get expensive) to maybe using it 2 - 3 times a year.
- Use all natural olive oil soap for face and body, Olive Oil Soap, Papoutsanist
- Avoid at all cost any products that contains Sodium Laural Sulfate as an ingrediant. SLS is not needed all it does is pro-long the shelf life of the product.
- Use oil based perfumes instead of alcohol as an active ingrediant, Aveda has some really good ones that I absolutely love
- Use scent-free laundry detergent, Tide Free & Gentle Laundry Detergent, Tide has worked the best for me vs. any other "Gentle" detergent
- I love Nature's Gate Body Lotions, and it does not contain SLS